Pinhole Gum Rejuvenation
Gum recession is a gradual process. Often a simple result of aging, gums may also begin to recede due to:
- Overaggressive brushing techniques
- Tobacco use
- Advanced periodontal disease
Gum recession can result in cosmetic issues, allowing teeth to look significantly longer or more pronounced. As roots become exposed, instances of tooth sensitivity can increase, making it painful to eat and drink as well. To make matters worse, gum recession allows pockets to form between the teeth and the gum line in which tartar, food particles, and bacteria can accumulate. This increases risks for gum disease, tooth loss, and more progressive problems like periodontitis and bone necrosis.
Manhattan dentist Dr. Elisa Mello offers the pinhole rejuvenation technique to treat gum recession. As an alternative to surgical gum tissue grafting, pinhole gum rejuvenation requires no incisions, no stitches, and no downtime. If recessed gums are impacting the appearance or comfort of your smile, we welcome an opportunity to meet with you, evaluate the condition of your teeth and gums, and guide you towards the most effective solutions for your needs.
To find out if the pinhole technique can benefit the appearance and comfort of your gums, please call NYC Smile Design at 212-452-3344 to schedule a consultation. Our experienced and award-winning NYC cosmetic dentists serve all five boroughs along with surrounding areas of New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut.
What happens during pinhole gum rejuvenation?
During pinhole gum rejuvenation, a specially designed instrument is used to loosen gum tissue, allowing it to be repositioned over exposed roots. Once the gums have been repositioned, collagen strips are placed to help them retain their new position during the 24-hour healing period.
Pinhole gum rejuvenation takes around an hour to complete and more than one session may be required for optimal results; two sessions is common. During your initial consultation, we can better assess how many pinhole gum rejuvenation treatments will be needed to fully address your gum recession.
Is pinhole gum treatment painful?
Pinhole treatment for gum recession is noninvasive and most patients experience no discomfort at all. If you are nervous about treatment or if you have highly sensitive teeth or another issue that may exacerbate discomfort, we would be happy to discuss sedation options or Wand Anesthesia during your initial consultation.
How long will it take to recover from pinhole gum surgery?
Results from pinhole gum therapy are immediate and, while some mild swelling may be present for 12 to 24 hours, the pinpoint-sized punctures throughout the gums will heal completely within one day.
You should not have to miss work or change plans following pinhole gum treatment. There are no incisions, no sutures, and no surgical steps to recover from. Most patients are able to resume normal activities on the day of treatment.
What is the difference between pinhole gum rejuvenation and surgical tissue grafting?
Differences between traditional gum grafting and pinhole gum rejuvenation are numerous and include:
- Surgical procedure: With traditional gum grafting, an incision is usually made on the roof of your mouth to extract gum tissue before it is sewn atop exposed roots. With the pinhole surgical technique, a small, pinhole sized entry point is used to glide gums over areas of exposed roots before collagen strips are placed to encourage proper healing
- Number of teeth treated: Only a few teeth can be treated at a time with traditional gum grafting. Wit pinhole gum surgery, numerous teeth can be treated in one visit
- Length of surgery: Gum grafting can take over 90 minutes. The pinhole procedure requires only about an hour
- Recovery time: The stitches used during gum grafting can take up to 10 days to close incisions. With pinhole rejuvenation, there is virtually no recovery time
There are several advantages to choosing pinhole gum treatment over traditional grafting techniques. Please call 212-452-3344 to schedule a consultation at NYC Smile Design and learn more. Located in Manhattan, our cosmetic dentists serve all surrounding areas and communities.