Posted: January 17, 2020
There are two types of tooth stains:
- Extrinsic. External stains can be caused by darker foods and beverages, tobacco use, and inadequate brushing
- Intrinsic. Internal stains may result from trauma, tooth infection and gum disease, excess fluoride, certain medications, and the process of aging
To whiten teeth, stains must either be removed or covered. Which option will be the most useful for your smile is dependent on the cause, location, and extent of your tooth discoloration.
Perhaps the most popular teeth whitening solution is chairside tooth bleaching. At NYC Smile Design, we use Zoom! Laser Teeth Whitening, an advanced and incredibly effective teeth whitening option that can lighten teeth several shades over the course of just one hour. Activing the bleaching solution with laser energy allows Zoom! to produce remarkable results and may even allow the treatment to address some internal staining.
Zoom! is specially formulated to lighten teeth without irritation or excessive sensitivity. Because the procedure is completed by one of our experienced cosmetic dentists, risks of soft tissue irritation and other discomforts are significantly reduced when you choose chairside teeth whitening.
Take Home Teeth Whitening Kits
Some patients prefer to whiten their teeth on their own schedule and in the comfort of their own home. In these instances, NYC Smile Design can provide professional-strength Zoom! bleaching solution with customized application trays for at-home use. We customize application trays, molding them to fit snugly over each tooth in your mouth to ensure a consistent whitening experience. Customized application trays also reduce the risk of solution seepage – a common cause of irritation and tooth sensitivity with over-the-counter teeth whitening kits.
Some store-bought kits come with boil-and-bite application trays. These may produce slightly more reliable results than flat-surfaced trays, but they are still much less consistent than those fashioned by Dr. Mello and Dr. Tabib.
For patients who choose in-office whitening, a take-home kit with a customized application tray can prove incredibly useful for touch-ups and maintenance. We would be happy to discuss this with you in more detail during your teeth whitening consultation.
Cosmetic Dentistry Solutions
When staining is intrinsic, it may require a more comprehensive cosmetic dentistry treatment. Popular solutions include:
- Porcelain Veneers. Thin, tooth-colored shells that can be placed over the front of teeth to address a number of cosmetic imperfections
- Dental Bonding. A tooth-colored composite resin that is applied in layers over teeth that have been marred by cosmetic or functional issues
- Porcelain Crowns. Crowns are placed over teeth that have become compromised due to trauma, infection, or decay. They can also be used with bridges and implants to replace missing teeth
The cosmetic solution that will have the biggest impact on your smile will be dependent on the issues you are facing and their severity. During your initial consultation at our Manhattan office, we will listen attentively to your concerns, fully assess the strength and healthy of your smile, and provide you honest information about the services that may prove most useful for your needs.
Call 212-452-3344 to schedule a consultation at NYC Smile Design. Located in Manhattan, Dr. Tabib and Dr. Mello welcome patients from all surrounding areas of New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut.