Posted: February 17, 2020
Dark lines around dental crowns and veneers can be very off-putting. After all, porcelain is selected for dental restorations, at least in part, due to its aesthetic abilities.
The good news is, black lines around porcelain veneers or crowns poses no physical dangers. The bad news is, unless replaced, black lines cannot be removed from dental restorations.
What Causes Black Lines Around Porcelain Restorations?
There are three primary reasons a dark line might form around dental veneers of crowns. These are:
- Porcelain-Fused-to-Metal (PFM). An older method of placing dental crowns utilized a metal base. This base helped prevent fractures and added strength to crowns, but often resulted in the eventual appearance of black lines. With PFM crowns, the porcelain gets thinner as it nears the gum line, but because the gum line recedes slightly every year, the lowest portions of a crown can become exposed over time, bringing with it a dark outline where the metal breaks through.
- Cheap, non-precious metals. Older crowns with a metal base may have been affixed to cheap, non-precious metals, such as tin. These metals can eventually leach out and "tattoo" the gum edges, allowing a dark line to appear. Worse yet, most people develop or are allergic to these metals, which may allow the gums get inflamed and bluish at the edges.
- Ill-fitting Porcelain Restorations. If your dental crowns or veneers do not completely fit the tooth or seal it well, staining will eventually accumulate at the tooth's edges. This is not just a dark-line-issue at this point; it can eventually damage the underlying tooth by allowing bacteria and plaque to start the process of decay and infection.
Fixing Dark Lines Around Porcelain Crowns & Veneers
No matter the cause of the dark lines around your restorations, Dr. Elisa Mello and Dr. Ramin Tabib can help. Services that may prove useful in eliminating black lines from below and around your crowns include:
- Replacing PFM or old crowns with new porcelain crowns
- Removing and replacing old dental veneers
- Dental bonding along the gum line to cover exposed PFM crowns
At NYC Smile Design, we can fix dark lines around your restorations. We also take every precaution to eliminate any risk of dark lines on the new restorations we place.
We do not offer PFM crowns. Modern porcelain crowns are stronger and more reliable than older options and do not require metal for reinforcement. In addition, we utilize the highest quality porcelain for both veneers and crowns, enabling us to produce a life-like and realistic, but supremely attractive end result.
Our placement methods are designed to prevent bacteria and debris from accumulating underneath the restoration and porcelain itself is stain resistant, helping to reduce risks of surface staining. With proper care veneers and crowns placed at our Manhattan office can continue to produce remarkable results for years to come.
Are you ready to learn more? Call our Manhattan office at 212-452-3344 and schedule a consultation today. We offer several cosmetic and restorative options that can correct dark lines around porcelain veneers and crowns. We welcome an opportunity to meet with you and help you find the most effective option for your needs.