At NYC Smile Design we are aware of the dangers of silver/mercury fillings, and how negatively they can affect your mouth, your body, and your health. Mercury is one of the most dangerous neurotoxins that exists, and half of that silver-colored filling in your mouth is composed of mercury.
So, why would anyone in their right mind want to have this toxic material in their mouth? You would want to remove it immediately, wouldn’t you? Wrong! Taking out these dangerous fillings can actually be worse than keeping them in.
With the information we've just given you, your next question might be, If silver/mercury fillings are so dangerous, why would we say you should not have them removed? Here are the reasons for the contradiction: Yes, they are dangerous and yes, keeping them in may cause many neurological health problems—in fact, mercury is actually the most poisonous, non-radioactive substance on earth.
It contributes to health issues such as heart disease, autism, and Multiple Sclerosis. But, while silver/mercury fillings continuously release mercury into the body while they remain in the mouth, their removal poses a serious challenge.
When the fillings are removed, the removal itself releases a huge amount of mercury, increasing not only the toxic load already absorbed by the patient, but affecting the doctor performing the removal procedure as well. It is therefore imperative that, when patients wish to have their fillings removed, the procedure take place in a safe environment and be carried out by dentists who are properly trained to remove them without causing harm. Here are some tips for people considering the procedure:
- Find a mercury safe-removal dentist (a list can be found at www.dentalwellness4u.com )
- Make sure that the dentist is a member of IAOMT (International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology). This is a network of dental, medical, and research professionals who seek to raise the standards of scientific bio-compatibility in the practice of dentistry.
- If you are already ill, you must be certain that the fillings are removed properly-- or the toxic overload can make you even sicker.
Finally, we would like to add that, although silver/mercury fillings have been commonly used for more than 100 years, their popularity does not make them safe for use. We also believe that, knowing the extreme toxicity of this material now, had it been introduced more recently it would never have met standards for professional dentistry. The best course to take for your long-term health would be to find a qualified dentist experienced in removing the fillings safely, and replacing them with a non-toxic amalgam or porcelain.