- Our Practice
- Media & Press
- Patient Information
- Request Appointment
- Contact Information
- Restorative / Rehabilitative
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Orthodontic / Orthopedic
- Smile Gallery
- Dental Products
Have you ever considered plastic surgery to reduce the effects of aging? Does the thought of going under the knife frighten you? Perhaps you’ve considered less invasive forms of plastic surgery such as Botox or collagen injections, and realized that they are only temporary fixes and need frequent re-injections to maintain results. Years ago cosmetic dentistry was never discussed or let alone considered an option to plastic surgery. However, these days it is one of the highly sought after treatments that can easily and within 2 weeks or less make a dramatic impact in achieving a youthful appearance and reducing wrinkle lines.
If there is something about your smile that bothers you, holding back your smile can eventually take its toll on your facial features. Years of holding back your smile or covering your teeth with your lips to hide them will eventually cause the muscles around the smile to lose its tonicity and the lower portion of the face will begin to droop accomplishing what you’ve been trying to do all along which is cover your smile. However this shouldn’t be. Imagine your confidence if you had the smile you always dreamt about with diminished wrinkle appearance and improved muscle tonicity. Would you still hold back your smile? Or, rather look for any excuse to flash your beautiful appearance? That’s what cosmetic smile makeovers can do.
Procedures in our office:
Your Smile Makeover
During the last couple of years, there has been a lot of media attention about cosmetic dentistry, especially extreme makeovers. Our philosophy is to enhance the beauty and not create an artificial generic look. Through technological advancements, it is now possible to conservatively improve and strengthen the health and function of a patient’s appearance and smile.
Esthetic dentistry will not only have a tremendous effect on self-esteem it can also improve how the jaw functions. As teeth wear down or edges of them chip, the bite will eventually collapse and this will place the burden of chewing on the jaw joints not on the teeth where it was designed to take most of the pressure from chewing. This we feel is a contributing factor to TMJ problems. The other problem when teeth wear down is that it will eventually expose the underlying tooth structures and once that happens teeth will stain rapidly. Bleaching will only temporarily solve this problem and it will quickly revert back because stains have a much easier way to get inside.
If you are considering an enhancement of your appearance with a smile makeover, it is important to have realistic expectations. Often times a client sets their expectations too low and cannot imagine the wonderful possibilities that exist to improve ones overall appearance.
The most important consideration when thinking about a smile enhancement is the expertise of the cosmetic dental team. Imagine building your dream house. You wouldn’t just hire the best architect and not pay attention to the general contractor and the materials they are using to build the house. The same analogy holds true in a smile makeover. It starts with knowledgeable cosmetic dentists with an artistic flair that takes into consideration all the facial features when designing a new smile, all the way to the ceramist that can reproduce what the dentist has envisioned.
Often a smile makeover has been completed on a client without properly assessing the situation or envisioning the final result. This can bring on frustration since expectations were not met and the end result was unsatisfactory or worse yet, nothing really fit properly. In our office, we go through a series of records in order to 1) preview and envision the final result and 2) create a blueprint that drives the process to completion.
- 1. Assessment Photography: We utilize the best professional digital camera system to take complete series of photos to assess the relationship of the smile with facial features, assess the color composition of the teeth and the texture of teeth. Because the lower 1/3 of the face has a major impact on the perception of facial esthetics the role of a beautiful smile is undeniable and the proper photography allows us to evaluate it.
- 2. Assessment Imaging: Imaging of teeth are done to see how the changes we will be making fits with facial profiles and allow our clients to view it and give feedback. With imaging we try to show the objective of enhancement, to provide a restoration that fits harmoniously into the facial composition.
- 3. Assessment Wax up: This is the blueprint for the smile enhancement. It is created by taking extremely accurate imprints of teeth with a material that can actually reproduce the textural detail on a brand new dollar bill. We determine and register how your teeth meet in function and chewing. This will help us to avoid any interference in the final smile makeover that could prove disastrous. We must determine how your jaw fits in your skull, for instance, is the upper jaw at a slant in relation to the rest of the face? This way we can avoid having teeth longer on one side and shorter on the other. All this information is communicated with the ceramist who will make the waxup blueprint and actually create the final restorations. The ceramist technician is so important that we have contracted with one of the best in the world. They use all the information we give them to create the most flattering and attractive smile.
Once the ideal relationship between the restoration and the facial soft tissues is achieved improvements in natural beauty can be expected to follow.
Diagnostic Waxup Before
Diagnostic Waxup After
- 4. Diagnostic mock-up: With the application of a special tooth colored material, we can temporarily change the shape, length and spacing of teeth. This allows you to see right in the office how an enhancement of your smile affects the overall appearance of your face.
Diagnostic Mockup Before
Diagnostic Mockup After
Here is a case from start to finish detailing the process for Liz’s veneers.
The first thing we like to do is image Liz’s smile. This gives us a good idea and an initial preview of the final result. Although this is a very rough idea it is the beginning process of developing the smile.
Now we can begin the process for developing Liz’s smile on a duplicate of her mouth. Wax is sculpted to exacting proportions detailing the final outcome. This is a preview and a Blueprint to drive the process to completion
These are images of Liz with temporary veneers on them, which are placed after the teeth are prepared to accept the porcelain veneers. These temporaries allow us to preview the final result. These temporaries are a duplicate of the sculpted wax-up models and are made of acrylic. Once these sculpted wax-ups are transferred in the mouth as acrylic temporaries it will allow us to critically evaluate them and see what refinements, if any, are necessary. Now our ceramist begins the process of creating these natural appearing and life-like veneers.
On the day of the Veneer placement, Liz gets to view the actual veneers on her teeth and evaluate them and approve them. Now we can permanently adhere them to her teeth.
It is important to understand that these veneers are completely individual and can be flossed in between. What is also nice about porcelain veneers is that they are very cleansable, so much so that plaque and calculus does not adhere to them as easily as they can to your natural teeth.
At NYC Smile Design we realize that every face is unique and therefore can’t prescribe a generic set of teeth to every smile facial features have to be carefully evaluated to determine what works best for the individual. We believe our practice name is truly a reflection of what we do; “design smiles” not apply porcelain pieces. Cosmetic dentistry can be a life changing event which often times paves the way for career advancements and a greater zest for life.
Cosmetic dentistry creates attractive smiles that function in a state of health. As cosmetic dentists, we can help you determine how to improve your smile, thereby looking better and feeling better about your appearance If your teeth are chipped, spaced or discolored, if their shape is somehow unattractive or if you simply want to have an eye-catching smile, we can give you the smile you once had or the one you always wished for.
NYC Smile Design: Full Smile Makeover
in New York
New York Smile Makeovers are one of the many dental services performed at NYC Smile Design.
Best cosmetic dentists, Ramin Tabib and Elisa
Mello offer aesthetic dentistry procedures in
NYC Smile Design: Smile Makeovers in New York
A smile makeover can be performed by Dr. Tabib and Dr. Mello at NYC Smile Design to enhance a person's overall appearance and boost their confidence. Aesthetic dentistry is performed by these top cosmetic dentists in Manhattan.